12/30/09

Welcome to my Lair of Horror...


I've been a huge fan of horror since I was very young. I can remember watching movies like Frankenstein and The Wolf Man when I was only a few years old. I have never believed what I was seeing was real, but I was fascinated with the darker side of art. I had read the complete Poe by the time I was 12, and I had already hunted down VHS copies of Fulci's Zombie and Romero's Dawn of the Dead. Needless to say, after discovering the writings of H.P. Lovecraft and Clive Barker as well as the films of Dario Argento, Lucio Fulci, and Shinya Tsukamoto, I was well down the path of becoming a horror connoisseur.

Like most people who have devoted much time and effort into amassing a substantial movie collection, I have found certain sub-genres which I have taken to heart more than others. We all have our own particular tastes of course. The aim of this blog is to bring to light rare and obscure movies that many of you have yet to see, or have yet to appreciate... and give them a thorough review.

Of course in this day and age, it is becoming increasingly easier to acquire obscure movies thanks in large part to the DVD revolution. But if your were to check ebay from time to time, you'll notice that horror movies make up a large portion of the collector's market. Certain movies I own, like "Last House on Dead End Street" by Barrel Entertainment, "The Guinea Pig Box Set" by Unearthed films, "The Ilsa Collection" by Anchor Bay and "August Underground: Snuff Edition" which was self distributed by Toe Tag Pictures have all fetched around 100 bucks at one time or another. I am not alone!

The passion of collecting films is still alive and well in my mind. Even though the economy puts a halt on excessive splurging, I can still look at my shelves and transport myself to the old "Mom and Pop" video stores I grew up on and love. There is something ridiculously awesome about being able to go grab my Synapse DVD of "Horrors of Malformed Men" and see a film that hasn't been shown for nearly four decades. If you're like me and can't get enough Italian Zombies, Cannibals, Samurai's, Giant Monsters, Mushroom People, Faux-Snuff Movies, Necrophilia, Back-Woods Slashers, and Henenlotter movies, then appreciate this golden age.

No comments:

Post a Comment